Sunday, October 16, 2011

Farmer's Market Finds!

I was in Hillcrest this morning for Turbo Kickboxing - FYI out of all the 24 Hour Fitness gyms in San Diego, Hillcrest 24 Hour has THE BEST kickboxing classes. Not your typical kick boxing class with a bunch of girls that are being wimpy and are afraid to yell and one or two guys hiding in the back who can't get the moves down. The Hillcrest TKB class has a bunch of gay guys in it that are all buff and into it and can actually get the moves down (their energy really pumps you up) and everyone in the class is yelling and so in to it. I LOVE IT.

Anyways, so while I was down there I went to the Hillcrest Farmer's Market - my favorite farmers market in San Diego! When I was in school, my favorite farmer's market was the one right by UCI's campus every Saturday. Irvine farmer's market is still my favorite, but I love the Hillcrest one too.

I picked up some goodies! One of my favorite spreads: Hani's Mediterranean Salsa. I'm not sure why they call it salsa... apparently the real name for it is "Zhug" - a Yemeni chili garlic sauce. Anyways, this stuff is amazing. I bought the one that has a layer of whipped garlic & olive oil (that somehow tastes amazingly creamy) mixed in. I would drive all the way down to Hillcrest all the time JUST to get this stuff if I had to. Luckily, it lasts 3 months in the fridge so I can just stock up on my supply once in a while and not have to drive all the way down there. :)



I thought I was pretty much done shopping until, all of the sudden, 30 minutes before closing, all of the stands started going crazy with sales. I LOVE SALES!! Seriously... You have no idea what sales do to me. I pretty much go crazy. It's really bad... But anyways... at least I found some fun stuff after that!


I got all of that pineapple guava for only $1!!! And I got organic asian pears and organic pluots for a little over $2 total! Yayyyy sales! I also picked up some mojito mint (my mom loves mojitos haha) and winter savory. The mojito mint is interesting... It tastes a little less minty, less sweet, and more earthy than most mints. Winter savory is something I've never tried or even heard of before. I've heard of summer savory as being a really good herb in pretty much anything, so I figured this is probably similar, right? I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells a little bit like oregano. I'm excited to play around with this herb!

And just for fun... I LOVE all of the street art in Hillcrest. This was just one of the many painted electrical boxes I walked by:





No comments:

Post a Comment