Monday, January 13, 2014

Chicken Salad-Stuffed Avocado

A friend of mine found this awesome idea somewhere online: chicken salad stuffed into half of an avocado. Low-carb, high in healthy fats, high in protein, and sounds delicious.

I decided to make my own version. Packed up the chicken salad and half an avocado to bring to work for a yummy lunch.


I dug through my fridge and pantry and made a yummy chicken salad with things I could find.

I happened to find some canned chicken breast from Costco in my pantry. The thought of canned chicken breast used to kind of disgusts me, but if you think about it, it's kind of similar to canned tuna. And I sample the Kirkland version at Costco and it wasn't bad. Definitely easy to have on hand and perfect for a simple chicken salad!

I can't stand mayo so I used a few different things to add some moisture, creaminess, flavor, and kind of bind the chunks of chicken together. One thing was Bitchin' Sauce!!



This stuff is AMAZING.  It's a San Diego company that often sells their product at farmer's markets in San Diego. I have also seen it at Whole Foods in LA! It tastes creamy, cheesy, garlicy, and has some nice spices, but is vegan, gluten-free, and made of some pretty good stuff! I use it as a veggie dip, spread, dressing, WHATEVER.

Check out their website, for nutrition info, recipes, where to buy, or order online here: Bitchin' Sauce

I mixed some Bitchin' Sauce with a little part-skim ricotta, mustard, relish, and extra virgin olive oil for my creamy, flavorful, and mayo-free base to bind the chicken together.

For spice, I added a few dashes of one of my fav hot sauces.



I discovered this hot sauce when I was visiting my brother up at Humboldt State. It's from a local company up there and it is AMAZING. Had to bring some home. I'd never heard of Te Jas-Wini peppers until I tried this hot sauce, but it has some really nice heat and a different feel on your tongue than most hot sauces. LOVE IT. Weitchpec Humboldt Green Pepper Sauces


I also mixed in some red bell pepper, celery, red onion, green onion, chopped almonds, and sliced grapes to make one of the best chicken salads I've made in a long time.

This deliciousness was amazing when stuffed into the avocado half!

No comments:

Post a Comment